5 – 11 October 2019
Race or ride – it’s up to you!
Enter as a “racing team” of two, or “ride and survive” in a small group with the renowned HotChillee Ride Captains and enjoy the support and camaraderie en route.
The event is open to mountain bikes as well as gravel bikes, but the parcours will best suit the speed of a gravel bike. The event has been sanctioned by Cycling South Africa.
Click here for 2018 stage profiles – 2019 to be announced soon!
- Event entry
- All meals (from Saturday evening to Friday lunch)
- Accomodation in tented villages (single occupancy in dome tent)
- Signed route
- Manned water stops each day
- Neutral service at water stops
- Medical support on route and in race village
- Baggage transfers between stages
- Parking (at start venue) for duration of event
- Bike wash
- Digital photos and film
- Event T-shirt
- Pro cycling jersey (valued at 1,400 ZAR)
What’s not included:
- Alcohol and soft drinks
Accommodation Upgrades – Available at Registration
- Luxury tent upgrade (with bedding and towels)
- B&B upgrade
Additional Purchases – Available Soon
- Evening mechanic packages
- Sports therapists
- Transfers to/from start and finish line
What type of bike may I ride?
You may ride a gravel/adventure bike, cyclocross bike or MTB. The course will be suited to a gravel bike in terms of speed and technical terrain.
What’s the difference between “Race” and “Ride”?
If you want to race for jersey or podium position you will need to enter as a team of two at registration. You will be asked if you wish to create a team, or join one. If you are not racing the event and plan to join one of the “ride” groups supported by the HotChillee Ride Captains then please do not enter as a team – but do still bring your buddies!
If you are creating a team and have a team-mate in mind already, you must create a password to ensure your friend gets your second place (just don’t forget to share it with them) and if you are feeling extra generous you can also pre-pay for their place too! As the team captain, you will have the difficult task of naming the team, so make sure you pick something good and nothing rude, no pressure!
If you are joining a team, all you have to do is select your (hopefully really good) team name from the drop down menu and enter the password that your team mate has very kindly created for you.
If you wish to upgrade to share a luxury tent or a room, you will both need to ensure that you have selected the same relevant optional upgrade purchase. You can add upgrades, transfers and optional packages to your registration at any time … until they sell out!
What are the Jersey Categories?
Master Team (both riders 40-49)
Grand Master Team (both riders 50-59)
Grand Grand Master Team (both riders 60+)
Must I wear a cycling helmet?
You must wear a cycling helmet at all times when riding.
Will there be a Daily Bike Service?
Yes we will be offering daily bike service packages.
Can I buy a massage package?
Yes there will shortly be an option to purchase massage/physio service
What do I need to bring?
- Mobile phone with charger and adapter for SA sockets
- Travel/personal insurance document
- Eyewear for sun protection
- Personal medication
- Some basic first aid, plasters and antiseptic for blisters, pain killers, anti diarrhoea, anti inflammatory, salt tablets
- Sunscreen and sunblock
- Bike repair tools including multitool, puncture repair, spare derailleur hanger, pump or CO2 cannnisters
- HRM monitor, strap and charger
- Water bottles
- Cycling clothing for a week
- Gels, drinks and energy bars
- Cash and/or credit card
- Sleeping bag, pillow and towel – unless you are opting for the luxury tent or B&B option
- Off bike clothing (casual)
- Flip flops for showers
- Insect repellent
- Washing detergent
- Plastic bag for dirty kit
Do I need my passport?
Travel documents are not needed as the event stays within the borders of SA.
Is there a bag service?
Yes, your bag will be transported from each start village to each finish village.
If for any reason you need to cancel your entry you are able to nominate a substitute for your place and we will refund your entry less a R200 administration fee for a completed substitution. You are able to substitute your place up to 31 days prior to the event Sign On date. If you elect not to substitute your place but still wish to cancel you will receive the following refund
17 Weeks + before the start: 66% of the full entry fee
13-16 weeks before the start: 33% of the full entry fee
0-12 weeks before the start: 0% of the full entry fee.
If, in the case of paying by deposit and 1 further payment, the full entry fee has not been paid at the point of cancellation, you will receive the following refund:
Less than 34% of entry fee paid: 0
More than 34% of the entry fee paid: you will receive the amount paid less 34% of the entry fee.
Legal and rules
In some circumstances it may also be possible to defer your place for 12 months. You can only defer once, and once your place is deferred it is non-refundable.