“The HotChillee Cape Rouleur is the best event of its kind in the world – ”
The HotChillee Cape Rouleur is a multi-day road cycling event based out of the picturesque town of Franschhoek in the heart of the Cape Winelands (an hours drive from Cape Town). Enjoy 5-days of group riding supported by 60 experienced event crew and rolling road closures through some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.
Riders are seeded into 3 speed groups at a 7km Individual Time Trial on an the first day:
Group 1: “Race”
Group 2: “Race” or “Ride”
Group 3: “Conquer!”
Each speed group rides as a peloton for the rest of the event, with the HotChillee Ride Captains in radio contact with the support vehicles to help ensure the safety of each group at all times. The format consists of tempo group riding with timed race sections on Stages 1, 2 and 3 allowing the faster speed groups to compete for Leader’s Jerseys and Age Category Awards, whilst those looking for a more social experience can “Ride” or “Survive!” in the slower groups and enjoy the endurance nature of the event in a fully supported environment. The timed race sections cover sprinting, climbing and general classification (GC). Click here to learn more about the Leader’s Jersey Competition and Age category Awards.
Whatever your speed group, you will be looked after like a pro-cyclist with a mechanics support van following each group carrying service wheels and service bikes so no more fixing punctures at the side of the road.
The actual speeds of the groups will be based on rider distribution, but will generally be as listed below:
- Group 1: Rolling course average speed 29km/h+ for 150km
- Group 2: Average speed 27-28km/h for a rolling 150km
- Group 3: Average speed 25-26km/h for a rolling 150km
- Sunday 3 March 2019:
Sign On & ITT prologue
- Monday 4 March 2019:
Stage 1 Franschhoek – Franschhoek
- Tuesday 5 March 2019:
Stage 2 Franschhoek – Franschhoek
- Wednesday 6 March 2019:
Stage 3 Franschhoek – Gordon’s Bay
- Thursday 7 March 2019:
- Saturday 9 March 2019 (Optional):
Social Ride, Cape Town
- Sunday 10 March 2019 (Optional):
Seeded entry to the Cape Town Cycle Tour, followed by VIP finish line hospitality. Riders will receive a link to enter the CTCT in their registration confirmation email.
The Cape Rouleur “Festival Ride”
The Festival Ride takes place on Thursday 7 March 2019 and forms the last day of the HotChillee Cape Rouleur. As on other days of the Cape Rouleur participants ride in three speed groups each supported by the fabulous Think Bike Marshals, HotChillee Ride Captains, mechanics vehicle, ambulance and the local traffic police. There are no race sections on this day. We start from the Krystal Beach in Gordon’s Bay and follow the False Bay coast line along Baden Powell Drive and into Khayelitsha, the biggest Township in the Western Cape. Here we stop en route for coffee and cake with our friends at Velokhaya Life Cycling Academy. Full info here.
- 5-day event entry
- Option of 3-night accommodation packages in Franschhoek
- 1 night accommodation at the Krystal Beach Hotel in Gordon’s Bay
- Airport transfer from Cape Town International to Franschhoek including bike* (Transfers are from Cape Town International at 09:00 and 12:15 on Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd March)
- Rainmaker Finisher’s Braai after Stage 3
- Celebration at the Waterfront after Festival Ride
- Baggage transfers from Franschhoek to Gordon’s Bay after Stage 3
- Baggage transfers from Gordon’s Bay to finish line after Festival Ride
- Bike box transfer from start to finish line
- Digital photos and film
What’s NOT included:
- Evening meals (apart from Celebration Braai)
- Alcohol and soft drinks
- Travel insurance
*Transfers are for riders choosing accommodation packages in Franschhoek only.
Daily social rides for non-riding partners
If you are being joined by a non-riding partner who would like to take part in daily social rides supported by an experienced HotChillee rider then they are very welcome to join us. Riders will need to be able to ride 30km minimum. Bikes can be hired from Franschhoek Cycles. There is no charge for the social rides.