“The HotChillee Cape Rouleur is the best event of its kind in the world”
The HotChillee Cape Rouleur is a multi-day road cycling event based out of the picturesque town of Franschhoek in the heart of the Cape Winelands (1 hour from Cape Town).
Join 150 cyclists for 5-days of group riding through some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet. “Race” in Group 1, “Ride” in Group 2 or “Conquer” in Group 3 whilst enjoying the signature HotChillee rolling road closures supported by motorbike outriders and 60 experienced event crew.
- Saturday 29 February 2020 (Optional):
Afternoon social ride with wine tasting at Leopards Leap
- Sunday 1 March 2020:
Sign On & ITT Prologue, Franschhoek
- Monday 2 March 2020:
Stage 1 Franschhoek – Franschhoek
- Tuesday 3 March 2020:
Stage 2 Franschhoek – Franschhoek
- Wednesday 4 March 2020:
Stage 3 Franschhoek – Gordon’s Bay
- Thursday 5 March 2020:
Festival Ride Gordon’s Bay – Cape Town
- Saturday 7 March 2020 (Optional):
Social Ride, Cape Town
- Sunday 8 March 2020 (Optional):
Seeded entry to the Cape Town Cycle Tour, followed by VIP finish line hospitality
2019 Routes and Profiles available here. 2020 routes announced shortly.
- Arrival transfer from Cape Town International to Franschhoek including bike (1 hour)*
- 5-day event entry
- Variety of accommodation package options
- Rolling road closures with motorbike outriders and traffic police support (no stopping at red lights!)
- Full mechanical support (no changing your own punctures!)
- 3 x HotChillee Ride Captains per group in contact with support vehicles
- Lead car and medical support vehicle per group
- Water and nutrition en route
- Lunch (excluding Sunday 1 March)
- Finisher’s Braai after Stage 3 (Wednesday 4 March)
- Celebration at the iconic Cape Town Waterfront after the Festival Ride
- All baggage transfers
- Bike box transfer from start to finish line
- Access to digital photos and film
- Event t-shirt and medal
What’s NOT included:
- Evening meals (apart from Finishers Braai on Wednesday night)
- Alcohol and soft drinks
- Travel insurance
*Transfers are for riders choosing accommodation packages in Franschhoek only.
For more information about the event see the 2019 Rider Pack.
Riders are seeded into 3 speed groups at a 7km Individual Time Trial on an the first day:
Group 1: “Race”
Group 2: “Race” or “Ride”
Group 3: “Conquer!”
Each speed group rides as a peloton for the rest of the event, with the HotChillee Ride Captains in radio contact with the support vehicles to help ensure the safety of each group at all times.
The format consists of tempo group riding with timed race sections on Stages 1, 2 and 3 allowing the faster speed groups to compete for Leader’s Jerseys and Age Category Awards, whilst those looking for a more social experience can “Ride” or “Conquer!” in the slower groups and enjoy the endurance nature of the event in a fully supported environment.
The timed race sections cover sprinting, climbing and general classification (GC). Click here to learn more about the Leader’s Jersey Competition and Age category Awards.
Whatever your speed group, you will be looked after like a pro-cyclist with a mechanics support van following each group carrying service wheels and service bikes so no more fixing punctures at the side of the road.
The actual speeds of the groups will be based on rider distribution, but will generally be as listed below:
- Group 1: Rolling course average speed 29km/h+ for 150km
- Group 2: Average speed 27-28km/h for a rolling 150km
- Group 3: Average speed 25-26km/h for a rolling 150km
Event Host Town – Franschhoek
Nestled between mountains in the beautiful Cape winelands is the picturesque village of Franschhoek. It’s the food and wine heartland of South Africa, where breath-taking scenery, warm hospitality, world class cuisine and the finest wines all combine to make the perfect host town for the HotChillee Cape Rouleur.
Cycle fully supported through the wine lands by day before relaxing by the pool in the late afternoon and enjoying fine dining at leisure in the evening.
In 2020 we’ll be inviting HotChillee Cape Rouleur participants to experience the delights of Franschhoek on a Saturday (29 February) afternoon social ride incorporating a tasting and gastronomic experience at local vineyard Leopards Leap. This option will be made available to registered riders shortly – more info soon!
The Cape Rouleur “Festival Ride”
The Festival Ride takes place on Thursday 5 March 2020 and forms the last day of the HotChillee Cape Rouleur. As on other days of the Cape Rouleur participants ride in three speed groups each supported by the fabulous Think Bike Marshals, HotChillee Ride Captains, mechanics vehicle, ambulance and the local traffic police. There are no race sections on this day. In 2019 we started from Gordon’s Bay and followed the False Bay coast line along Baden Powell Drive and into Khayelitsha, the biggest Township in the Western Cape. Here we stop en route for coffee and cake with our friends at Velokhaya Life Cycling Academy. Full info here. Watch this space for 2020 info!
Bring a non-riding partner and share the week with friends or family
HotChillee Cape Rouleur 2020 participants have the option of registering with a non-riding partner. Whilst you are on your bike your non-riding partner can lay by the pool and soak up the Africa sun, or explore the delights of the Western Cape wine lands.
Each year we invite non-riding partners to take part in daily supported social rides. These are very relaxed and always punctuated by coffee stops, however riders will need to be able to ride 30km minimum. Bikes can be hired from Franschhoek Cycles or e-bikes from Day Trippers. There is no additional charge for the social rides.
Non-riding partner upgrades include:
- Accommodation with rider in either twin or double room
- Transfer from Cape Town Airport to Franschhoek on arrival
- Transfer from Franschhoek to Gordon’s Bay after Stage 3
- Option of daily social rides
- Ticket to the Celebration Braai after Stage 3
- Transfer from Gordon’s Bay to the Cape Town on the last day
- Reception at the iconic Cape Town Waterfront event finish